Summer may be coming to an end, but that doesn’t mean you no longer need to protect yourself from the sun. We are exposed to UV rays year round so it’s super important that we remember to protect our skin. Being the white girl that I am with my fair skin, I’ve learned a lot about sun protection, but there are still a large number of people who are out in the sun without applying sunblock. As if skin cancer isn’t scary enough!
Now, we do need the sun and a little sun exposure is a good thing. It helps maintain life on our planet, aids our body in producing vitamin D and it can help activate natural enzymes. With that being said, we still need to use protection and prevent burning. When it comes to sunscreen don’t let the crazy high SPF numbers fool you, 15-50 SPF is plenty. Also look for sunscreens that don’t include vitamin A. Although you would think vitamin A listed as an ingredient would be a good thing, because it’s a vitamin and all, it’s truly not. While eating foods filled with vitamin A is beneficial, spreading it on your skin isn’t; it makes your skin more sensitive to the ultra violet rays.
In addition to sunscreen, there are some foods that can reduce the chance of getting sunburn. My favorite, dark chocolate! A square of dark chocolate a day keeps the sunburn away…well not really but I’ll use any excuse to eat some chocolate. Dark chocolate contains four times as much phenols and catechins as tea. These antioxidants protect our skin from sunburn and skin cancer. According to Heal With Food, Garlic also protects the skin from UV rays. Garlic contains a natural compound called allicin, which has strong antioxidants and healing properties. A few other foods would be carrots, olive oil, pomegranate, orange and pink citrus fruits, red peppers and green tea.
Eating a few squares of dark chocolate does not mean you can layout at the beach SPF-free. You can eat as much of these foods as you want, but there’s nothing that will prevent sun damage more than sunscreen. (Check out our top 5 favorite sunscreens and sunscreen-based products below!) So lather on the sunblock, protect your face with some cute sunnies and go enjoy that warm sun on your skin!
Our Top 5 Favorite Sunscreens and Sunscreen-Based Products
1) Clinique- City Block Sheer: Perfect on bare skin or used a primer. It’s a UVA/UVB daily sun protection for your face. It helps with absorbing excess oil so your makeup looks fresher all while protecting your face from the sun. I use SPF 25 but it is also offered as SPF 40.
2) Fresh- Sugar Lip Treatment With SPF 15: Chapped lips are never a good look, but sunburned lips are even worse! Fresh is one of my favorite lip balms because it blends reparative oils and waxes together with real sugar to make natural preserving moisture for your lips. Fresh Lip Treatment With SPF comes in many different tints and it protects your lips from the harmful UV rays.
3) Clarins Sunscreen: Clarins has a great line of sunscreen products for your body and face. They have everything from wrinkle control face sunscreen to oil-free spray on lotions that protect you from the sun.
4) Shiseido- Extra Smooth Sun Protection Lotion SPF 38: This extra-smooth, sheer lotion keeps skin healthy and protected. Made with rose apple leaf extract, it delivers an antioxidant effect and strengthens skin against UV-caused DNA damage.
5) bareMinerals Foundation- Broad Spectrum SPF 15- An amazing light weight mineral based foundation that contains SPF 15.
Happy Cat Day 😸 from our kitties anchovy and blanco 💕💕💕 (at LITTLE GYPSY 🏠)
Our Babe @vanessabukowski rocking her bikini from us in Mexico! We love customer photos so be sure to tag your photo #LittleGypsyHawaii so we can see them 🌞
She’s A Dreamer, A Doer, She Sees Possibility In Everything 💫 that’s our little gypsy girl PHOTO // @meltjoeng @katarinalanni @freesaness
Love This Graphic Done By @katgaskin ⭐️ Don’t Forget To Submit Your Resumes To Us! (at LITTLEGYPSYUSA.COM)
Summer Color 🌞 (at Lanikai Beach Front)
We Are So Beyond Excited To Announce Our Official Relaunch! Stay Tuned For Updates! Currently, We Are Looking To Hire Two Interns And A Graphic Designer To Staff Full Time! Can’t Wait To Show You What We Have Been Working On 💌 To Apply For Positions Please Email email@example.com (at WE ARE HIRING 👯)
Enjoying Little Treasures This Beautiful Island Has To Offer 🌸 (at LITTLEGYPSYUSA.COM)
Wednesday Mornings Aren’t also Bad #humpdaaay (at LITTLEGYPSYUSA.COM)
Can We Just Say YAHS 👌 Would You Wear One Of These Epic Bikinis?! (at WWW.LITTLEGYPSYUSA.COM)
Say YES to your weird side 🍭 p.s. we are on the breach of something amazeballs so stay tuned because we love you 💌 (at WWW.LITTLEGYPSYUSA.COM)
How Cute Are These @shopjawbreaking Tees!? Which Ones Would You Like To See In Store? Tag Your Friends 💞💕💞